What is VELSCOPE?
The VELscope® System is a revolutionary hand-held device that provides dentists, hygienists, and other oral health care professionals with an easy-to-use adjunctive mucosal examination system for the early detection of abnormal and cancerous tissue.
ORAL CANCER KILLS ONE PERSON EVERY HOUR, 24 HOURS A DAY IN NORTH AMERICA
• The incidence of oral cancer increased 11% in the United States in 2007
• Unlike several other cancers, the survival rate for oral cancer has remained unchanged for decades
• The overall 5-year survival rate for oral cancer is 52%, but when discovered early, it increases to 80% - 90%
• Unfortunately, only 35% of oral cancer cases are diagnosed in the early stages. Why? Because there have been few advances made in screening techniques and there are significant limitations inherent to white light and chemiluminescence light examination of the oral mucosa
• Pre-malignant changes actually start below the surface, at the basement membrane. These changes may not be apparent to the naked eyeuntil the disease progresses to the surface
| Normal Tongue
|| Normal Fluoresence on Velscope Exam|
| Seemingly normal oral tissue
|| Carcinoma In Situ on Velscope Exam|